Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Loss of a Fine Teacher


"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops."  - Henry Brooks Adams

In this country teachers are a hugely undervalued asset.  They are underpaid, overworked and generally taken for granted.  The truly great ones are the ones who take the time to not only impart the required material, but also take the time to connect with their students and open up the excitement and possibilities of learning and life.  Those are the teachers you remember throughout your life. Their wisdom and encouragement.

I can count on my fingers the teachers that have truly made a difference in my life.  Miss Milke my 3rd grade teacher.  Mr. Babb and Mr. Roberts, high school chemistry and physics.  A few others whose names are escaping me in my old age, but their influences continue on.
  
I found out one of my favorite photography instructors is leaving teaching this semester.  

Ben Stephenson of Wizards International is an extremely talented photographer and a wonderful teacher and I'm sorry to see him leave. 



He brought energy and enthusiasm into his classroom and always took the time to thoroughly answer every question I asked.  In class.  After class.  In the hall on the way to another class.  No matter how silly or ignorant the questions may have been. :)

** Mr. Stephenson, if you ever read this, I appreciate the time, knowledge and enthusiasm you shared with me and the rest of your students and I wish  you all the best. 

I don't have a signed release for this photo.
Please don't sue me...
(For educational purposes only).

1 comment:

  1. Susanna: Thank you for these kind words; I am deeply touched. - Ben

    PS: You have permission to publish my photo - for educational purposes, only ;-)

    ReplyDelete