Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Winter is Coming

“What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.” - John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
 
 
 
 
Frost on my windshield this morning.  And fog was hanging over the lake again.  Even the parks near the lake were sporting a blanken of frost.  34 degrees.  Brrrr.
 
I love this time of year.  I love seeing my breath on the air.  Layers of clothing.  The occasional "inclement weather" day from work. :)
 
I love the respite from the heat of the Texas summer.

Texas likes to play winter.  The temperature hovers around freezing for a short time and we have a few snow/ice storms each year, when the whole city rolls itself up and braces for armageddon.  Though each year I'm here sees fewer and fewer. 
 
I dream of living someplace with weather.  I have a child's memory of winter when my family lived in New England.  A full autumn with leaves that turn briliant colors before falling off and crunching under foot.  Snow that lasts more than 2 days.  The excitement of the first green leaves on the trees in spring and crocuses peeking up through the snow.
 
My rational brain says rakes and shovels, icy roads and rusted cars, blizzards and blackouts.

Maybe the realities will dim my fairy tale dreams and and childhood memories.   I'll never know until I give it a try.  Who wants to be rational anyway?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment