Thursday, November 29, 2012

Procrastination and Avoidance

"Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." - Ronald Reagan

I've been avoiding my blog.  I don't know why.  I want to write.  I like to write.  I love to see what I have written posted on my blog.  Yet, I avoid SITTING DOWN TO WRITE.  Why do I do this?  When I like the process and the results?  What is it about the act of BEGINNING that bothers me so much?

The rest of my life is the complete opposite.  I have no problem beginning things.  Its the follow through that I lack.  My attention span is that of maybe a knat.  I flit from one interesting subject or activity to another.  Its one of the reasons I have always wanted to be a writer.  I figure I can get interested in a subject and once the novel is finished, move on to the next...guilt free.

I figure I will die about 6 credits shy of about 14 different college degrees.  (those six credits are statistics and public speaking, if you're interested).  Unfortunately while it keeps me entertained, its the sustained interest and completion that give me the most difficulty.

But I procrastinate in writing blog posts.  I haven't posted in more than 2 weeks.  It's not like I don't have plenty to say.  Getting up on my soapbox has never been a problem for me.  I am constantly finding new topics and writing them in my head for when I have a chance to write them down.  But when the chance comes, I have something emminently more important to do first.

WHY? 

Once I sit down to write, the words just flow.  And seeing that new post on my blog...makes me happy.  And proud.  I did that.  I actually like what I wrote.  I smile and enjoy the accomplishment.

So why is getting started so HARD?

No comments:

Post a Comment