Sunday, June 12, 2011

Dreams

"Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him."  ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

At 40, I still didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up.  I've had a series of jobs that I usually liked when I started and hated by the time I left.  I allowed the winds and other people to dictate the turns of my life.  Time to take the rudder.

I had a psychology professor who encouraged his students to always be learning and experiencing new things.  His suggestion was to choose five things every year you want to learn or do.  (Thanks, Dr. Taulbee)

My list this year is:
  1. Write a blog
  2. Digital photography
  3. Cooking
  4. Hiking
  5. Cisco advanced routing certification

Usually, I manage to change one or two by the end of the year.  But this is good.  I've started two (write a blog being an obvious one!). 

First on the list is start a blog.  Obviously, I've accomplished this!  One down, four things and 6 1/2 months to go.  Of course, I doesn't count if I don't keep it up!  Hopefully, this blog will keep me honest and on track for actually accomplishing my entire list this year!

Small steps to taking control of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment