Tuesday, April 2, 2013

I Did It!

"Wearing your running shoes everywhere this spring may increase your odds of actually running." - Unknown


...and then I didn't.  I actually completed all 8 run intervals on the first day of the second rendition of week 1.  I had quite a bit of pain in my ankles, but I FINISHED.  And then...

Day 2 the ankle pain was so bad, I could only do 4 intervals and wasn't sure I would be able to walk back without a rest.

Argh!  I even bought a new pair of running shoes (the least intense ones I could find in my size).


The only reason I'm not too concerned about the ankle pain is because I experienced it before when I started walking, but with the greater effort of pace, I am experiencing a greater intensity of pain.  Even with pre-run stretches.

I did find that, instead of running 4 intervals in a row and walking (hobbling) the rest,  it is much more tollerable if I run every other interval and walk the intervals in between.

It took several weeks for my ankles to aclimate to the regular walking.  I have no doubt it will be the same with running.  I refuse to be deterred.

I keep reminding myself that it is not how fast I progress that is important right now.  I consider it a complete success to get myself out of bed on a regular basis and moving my body as much as is possible for my current  level of fitness (or lack thereof).

As an added incentive, I am enjoying the change of landscape to spring.

Trees are budding their leaves:




Birds are strutting for the ladies:
 
 
Even a pelican passing through has stopped for a paddle.

 
 
Life is good and only getting better.  :)
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment