Saturday, July 14, 2012

Take a Walk

"Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey" - Robert Collier
 At the top of my bucket list is Go on Walkabout.

I have always loved to travel.  And I love to read.  So, its not difficult to guess that I read a lot of travel narratives.  Once of my favorite types of travel narratives is people who went on long walks.  A Walk Across France by Miles Moreland, A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins, A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson.  I could go on and on.

Then there are more philosopical books like Wanderlust: A History of Walking by Rebecca Solnit, and one of the most influential books in my life The Art of Pilgrimage: The Seeker's Guide to Making Travel Sacred by Phil Cousineau.

All of which instilled in me a desire to go on my own Walkabout, or Pilgrimage.

The only problem with this dream is I can barely move my portly tuchas from point A to Point B without wanting to die.

Step 1 in the lose weight and get a life project.  Start waking.  So I did.  I walked off and on for the last couple years.  After work, around the neighborhood.  It would last for a week or a month.  Then it would be too hot.  Or too cold.  Or I'd just be too tired after work.

How to remedy? 



I joined a Meetup walking group.  Now I go walking three times a week.  Too tired after work?  We walk in the morning.  Too hot?  Well, yes.  It's summer in Texas.  But we walk at a lake at 6:30 am which is not cool, but cooler than after work.  I'll deal with too cold when the issue arrises.  Don't want to go?  I have people waiting for me.  Its rude to stand them up.



It's been just over two months of walking and, while I haven't really lost any weight, (I've been fluctuating up and down the same 5 lbs) I can at least feel my leg muscles getting a little tighter.

I started out with an extremely difficult 2.9 miles and I'm now up to 3.8 miles and I'm using Nordic poles to work my poor weak and unused arm and back muscles.  I'm just about ready to increase the distance again. 

I'll be ready to go on a Walkabout in no time.

Now I just have to decide where to go! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment