Thursday, October 4, 2012

Change of Plans

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading." - Lao Tzu

We headed southeast out of Fairbanks on the Richardson Highway.  The original plan was to turn north at Tok and stay the night in Chicken then continue on to Dawson City, then Whitehorse.  Who could resist spending a night in a town called Chicken with internet but no flush toilets?

Alas, we had to continue southeast on the Alcan highway, directly to Whitehorse. 

Our first stop was in Beaver Creek just over the Canadian Border.  As with many last minute plans, lodging choices were slim.  I want to make fun of the "motel" and the "suites" we were given which were in a rickety, run down four room trailer, with an unpleasant smell and questionable carpet.

I'm not actually making fun of the place because, while (and I'm going to sound like a snob here) it was not of a standard I am generally used to in travel accomodations, the sheets were clean and the woman who checked us in was very friendly and polite.  The alternative was driving all night.

There wasn't much to do in Beaver Creek so I took a walk.  I found an overgrown dirt track behind the motel and while tromping along, enjoying the scenery, I came across a fallen sign, half reclaimed by nature.  "This dump is closed", etc.  Great.  So much for enjoying nature.

While I was reading the sign, I was no longer making a racket in the fallen leaves, allowing a rustling in the trees to enter my consciousness.  Sounded like footsteps.  The footsteps of a forraging animal.  A LARGE forraging animal.

City slicker that I am, the first thing to pop into my head was...BEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say, I cut my walk short!

Of course, it was probably an arctic squirrel.

Despite the annoyance of changing plans, we were treated to a wonderful sight we would have missed otherwise. 

Just over the Canadian border, before we reached Beaver Creek, there was an RV stopped in the middle of the road.  The occupants were out on the side of the road photographing a Black Bear.  Unlike them we PULLED OVER TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.  Unfortunately, the bear was into the trees before I could get a shot.  Back into the car.

We hadn't gone more than a few feet when I spotted another bear on the other side of the road.  Out of the car again.  The first RV pulled up to us and we were joined by a second RV.

You know you are a tourist when...

A van pulled up to ask us what was going on.  When he found out we were photographing a bear on the side of the road, he snorted and drove on.

...you are laughed at as rediculous by a local.

The first thing you are told about this place is NEVER get out of your car to photograph a bear on the side of the road. 

I got some great shots.


Black Bear on the side of the road.

Even the weeds on the side of the road turn colors

I love the vibrant colors of the Aspens

Road to the old Beaver Creek Dump

Sunset in Beaver Creek

Spectacular view

More spectacular view



No comments:

Post a Comment