Monday, September 24, 2012

Dreams Can Come True

"You have to dream before your dreams can come true." - Abdul Kalam

Have you ever had a dream you thought would never actually happen, not in a million years?  Its always in the back of your mind, but you know it will never happen.  There is always something else to spend your money on, something else to do first.

Mine was to go to Alaska. Its on my bucket list, but way down at the bottom...

Unbelievably, I spent the first two weeks of September travelling the interior of Alaska and the Yukon, Canada.  It was so surreal.

I had some great adventures and I'll share them along with the photographs over the next few days.

The first leg of the journey took us to Anchorage.  We took the train to Whittier for a glacier cruise on Prince William Sound. 

On the train, I spent more time hanging out the open half door in the "vestibule" between cars with several other photographers than in my actual seat.  What fun.  When I wasn't snapping photos, I was talking shop with four or five other enthusiastic amateur photographers.

Despite the rain and clouds, it was gorgeous.  We saw some Beluga Whales (that I didn't get any decent pictures of), Sea Otters, several species of birds, a Salmon hatchery, some unbelievably stunning scenery and a surprising number of gorgeous glaciers.

The crew also fished a piece of glacier ice out of the water and served up margaritas on the glacier rocks. YUM.






 

 
 
I was determined to eat salmon from one end of the state to the other and had a good start at a restaurant called Sacks in downtown Anchorage.
 
More to come...

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, every one of them. I am still hoping to get to Alaska myself. You have just fueled that desire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenna, I'm so thrilled you enjoyed my photographs. I hope you find the opportunity to visit Alaska. It is entirely worth the effort.

      Delete